Monday, November 14, 2005

Life, Liberty, Property, and TV?

In the news today, I heard that Congress is looking at giving television owners a $3 billion subsidy for analog to HDTV converters. They are concerned (or so they say) that low income Americans may not have the $40-50 needed for a conversion box. Apparently, they believe that we all have the right to TV. Surely, they must believe that this right is much more important than the right of private property, which has been violated in taking the money from tax payers to pay for the TV subsidy. What right does government have to do this? I say none. They may have the ability, but not the moral right.

The right of government is no more than an extention of the rights of an individual. I like to look at issues at a small scale to see exactly how these issues affect individual rights:

Bob just found out that his analog television set will no longer work without a $50 HDTV converter. He takes his gun out, walks over to his neighbor, Joe's house (who makes more money than him), and forces Joe to write him a $50 check. He then buys the converter.

This scenario played out on a grand scale is what we have today. My neighbor wants a converter. My money is taken (through taxes) to give him that converter. If I refuse to pay for it, I will lose my liberty (end up in prison), and if I resist enough, even my life.

We have the right to defend our private property and government has no right to give it to someone else. Just as Bob, in my example, is violating Joe's rights, the government is violating ours. We should not tolorate this from our elected officials. I wish everyone would write senators and representatives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home