Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Minimum Wage

Here is a post I put on a USA Today site that asked what I thought about the House raising the minimum wage:

I'd like anyone in support of minimum wage to take a simple economics course. It is just a tool our representatives in government use to buy votes from those foolish enough to believe it is a good idea. I lived off minimum wage when I was a college student. Unfortunately, I spent my summers working in Oregon where the state government had set one of the highest minimum wages in the country. Each summer I found it extremely difficult to find a minimum wage job. The price of hiring an unskilled worker was just too high for businesses to pay. So instead of spending my first weeks working (I was willing and able to do so), I spent the time getting job applications turned down for jobs as menial as pushing carts. During those difficult times, I made the true minimum wage: $0.00 per hour. Oh and besides the economic costs, a minimum wage goes against the principles of freedom that were fought for when our great country was established. This just takes us one step closer to communism (which is the real goal for these politicians---they want to control everything).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home